I was watching a TV show the other day and they created a salad using grapefruits and this is where this recipe was born. Except I wanted to use oranges because I love oranges! The oven roasted almonds paired well with the sweet oranges and the mustard dressing was perfect. I added the roasted golden beets because they match and I had them in the fridge, I'm not kidding:) That's why I named it the Sunshine Salad. It's so bright and cheery!
This is a great main dish salad. It's definitely hearty enough. If you would rather have it as a side salad you could make it lighter by removing the beets.
As far as greens, I always mix a bunch together. This one has green leaf lettuce, spinach, and arugula. You guessed it, that's what was in my fridge. Use what you like. I think Romaine would work very well also.
Serving Size 2
Prep Time 1hr. with beets. 15 minutes without the beets. You could always make beets ahead of time.
- A couple of handfuls of greens
- 1 Orange
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup of roasted almonds
- 3 Golden beets, cubed.
- 1 Tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp of reserved orange juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Spicy brown mustard
- 1Tsp Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- Preheat over to 400 degrees
- Cut beets into 1/2 inch cubes
- Coat with EVOO, salt, and cayenne pepper ( You can remove oil if you're trying to omit oil from your diet)
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes
- Set aside and let cool.
- Cut both ends off the orange like in the picture.
- Cut down the sides to remove the rest of the peel. Be sure to remove all of the white membrane.
- Cut the slices out in between the white membrane
- After you're finished, squeeze the orange juice out of what is left and set aside for the dressing. This should be about 1 Tbsp. of juice.
- Place all ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Set aside
- Place greens on two medium plates
- Equally distribute the oranges, almonds, and beets to bother plates.
- Add dressing when you are ready to serve
- Eat it up!!
Be sure to let me know if you made the salad. If you have any questions message me.